How to do the dumbbell Romanian deadlift. This includes step by step instructions. Also what are the benefits of this exercise.
This is a variation of the Romanian Deadlift exercise, using dumbbells rather than the standard barbell.
- Primary muscles targeted – Hamstrings and lower back.
- Secondary muscles – Glutes and calves.
- Equipment needed – Dumbbells.
- Exercise type – Compound exercise.
For more leg and back exercises you can see the categories section to the right.
The Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift is a variation of the standard Romanian deadlift which is performed with a barbell. Why use this version over the standard Romanian deadlift? because exercise and workout variety helps with workout and muscle stimulation. Some people may find using dumbbells more comfortable than using a barbell as it offers more freedom of movement. Or maybe you simply only own a pair of dumbbells therefore you have no choice but to do this version.
This exercise will help to build and strengthen your hamstrings and lower back for a more stable core helping to prevent injuries. With it being a compound exercise it also offers good fat burning benefits, compound exercises require more energy to perform and also to recover from than isolation exercises, this extra energy will burn more calories and fat.
How to do the dumbbell Romanian deadlift
- Pick up the dumbbells and stand up straight, hold the dumbbell in front of you in a horizontal position.
- Keep your chest up and back straight ideally keep your back arched and your knees slightly bent.
- Now slowly lower the dumbbells until your back is almost parallel with the floor, or as far as you comfortably can. (You should feel the stretch in your hamstrings)
- Now in a controlled fashion using your hips return to the upright position, repeat for your desired reps.
- Use a light weight until you have comfortable with the technique.
- If you have back problems consult with your doctor for advice on whether you should attempt this exercise.
- Performing the normal Romanian deadlift is better for muscle and mass building as it’s easier to perform with a barbell using heavier weights.