The around the world exercise with dumbbells is a weight training exercise which targets primarily your chest/pectoral muscles. This page includes how to perform instructions, tips and a video showing the actual technique being performed. Plus what are the benefits of performing this exercise?
The around the world exercise is a not very well known chest exercise. Only hard core more experienced lifters are likely to be aware of it.
Around the world chest exercise is not one of those exercises where you can really go heavy, like the bench press for example. It’s more comparable to chest flyes, which requires a greater focus on the technique rather than the weight being lifted.
- Primary – Chest
- Secondary – Shoulders, Forearms
- Exercise Type – Compound Exercise
- Equipment needed – Dumbbells
- It helps to keep you motivated, plus added muscle stimulation with the variety this exercise gives.
- Chest, Shoulder and Forearm strength benefits.
Around the World Chest Exercise
- Lie flat on a bench holding a pair of dumbbells around your thighs, with your palms facing up and your elbows slightly bent, this is the starting position.
- Now slowly rotate your arms towards your head, keeping your arms parallel to the floor.
- Once the dumbbells are out stretched beyond your head, slowly return them back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions and sets.
- Really start off with low weight dumbbells.
- Keep your arms as parallel to the floor as you can.
- Due to the amount of rotation your shoulders have to cope with don’t perform this exercise if you have any shoulder injuries or problems.
Other Recommended Chest Exercises