How to do Hack Squats and what are the benefits of this exercise. The hack squat is a variation of the common and popular squat exercise.
I will include detailed information on the hack squat, how to perform instructions, tips and a video showing the correct technique for performing the exercise.
- Primary – Quadriceps (Thighs) Glutes (Buttocks).
- Secondary – Lower back, hamstrings, calves and traps.
Exercise equipment – all you need is a barbell.
Exercise variations are good for a few reasons, they slightly change the focus of the exercise when it comes to targeting those muscles and variety is known to be good for triggering muscle development. Another good reason to use exercise variations is simply to prevent boredom, this helps with motivation and keeping things fresh.
Benefits of performing hack squats
The hack squat is great for targeting those thighs and glutes, strengthening them and building muscle mass. It’s a compound exercise targeting many different muscles therefore benefiting those muscles also. It will improve your core strength and fitness. The hack squat has calorie and fat burning potential due to the effort and energy required to perform this compound exercise.
Despite this exercise being referred to as a squat, it looks very similar to a deadlift, giving similar benefits.
How to Perform Hack Squats
- Stand with your feet about shoulder width apart, the barbell should be behind your feet.
- With your toes pointing out slightly, feet flat on the floor and your back straight. Squat down and place both hands on the barbell with your palms facing away from you.
- Slowly using your legs stand up straight, hold for a moment and then lower the barbell to the floor in a controlled fashion.
- Simply repeat for the number of reps you have planned.
The hack squat offers a nice change to the more common leg exercises, helping to break up that repetition and help to make those leg workouts more interesting.
Other compound exercises that I would recommend.