High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is an intense but short method of training with workouts lasting anywhere from just a few minutes to around half an hour or longer, some pre designed workouts may last longer.
HIIT is a combination of cardiovascular and resistance exercises. Normally no equipment is needed to perform the workouts which is one of the reasons why they are so popular.
High Intensity Interval Training has been very popular lately in the world of fitness and fat loss, with various different products and video programs being big sellers such as PX90 and the Insanity program.
High Intensity Interval Training workouts normally consist of a warm up period, followed by periods of high intensity and then recovery periods of medium to low intensity and then back to high intensity.
For example you may perform a high intensity exercise for 20 seconds and then perform a rest period of low intensity exercises for 15 seconds and repeat, increasing or reducing the time periods as the workout progresses.
Benefits of HIIT workouts
- Burning more fat. Studies suggest that high intensity workouts are more effective for burning fat and increasing metabolic rates, compared to medium intensity exercising for longer periods of time.
- Another great thing about these workouts is that you can perform them almost everywhere.
- Good cardiovascular improvements. Studies suggest that after just a few weeks of HIIT training it increases heart and lung capacity.
- No equipment is necessary, you don’t need to bother buying expensive workout equipment. You can find lots of HIIT workouts that don’t require exercise equipment.
- Short workouts and high intensity make them ideal for busy people wanting to improve their health and fitness. Simply said, it’s an efficient way of exercising.
Example HIIT workout exercises
- Hip rotations
- Press ups
- Squat thrusts
- Jumping jacks
- Jogging on the spot
- Star jumps
Many of the exercises that you will find in High Intensity Interval Training workouts will be combinations and variations of these different exercises.
I am new to HIIT workouts myself and they are something that I am only just starting to get into. They seem to have many benefits and they are ideal for those of us with little free time to attend a gym.
However they are as the name suggests intense workouts! a decent level of fitness is required to complete one of the these workouts properly, which may be too much for some people. You may wish to start with a slightly less intense workout depending on your fitness levels.
If you are looking for free HIIT workouts simply search for them on you tube you will find many free workouts there.