Wide grip lat pulldown or simply know as Lat Pulldowns is a great exercise for targeting your upper back muscles (Latissimus Dorsi). How to do the lat pulldown.
The Wide Grip Lat Pulldown is very common exercise that is easy to perform and virtually every gym known to man has the cable machine required to perform it.
The Lat Pull Down exercise is like a Pull-Up in reverse. When you perform a Pull-Up you pull your body up to the bar or your chin up to the bar, with Lat Pull Downs you pull the bar down your chest.
This is an ideal exercise if you can’t yet perform Pull-Ups properly. It uses and strengthens the same muscles as when performing Pull-Ups. You can simply use a light weight to build up your strength to improve your Pull-Up performance.
Even if you have no interest in performing Pull-Ups it’s still a great Lat/Back exercise.
- Primary Muscles Targeted – Latissimus Dorsi
- Secondary Muscles Targeted – Biceps, Shoulders and Middle Back
- Exercise Type – Compound
- Equipment Needed – Cable Machine with Wide Bar Attachment
Different Grip Widths
- Wide – Wider that shoulder width
- Medium – This is shoulder width Grip
- Narrow – Grip smaller than shoulder width
Using a wider grip focuses more on the Lats. Narrower grips focus more on the middle back muscles.
How to do lat pulldowns
- Sit down on the pull down machine, adjust the seat and knee pad to a suitable and stable position. Adjust the knee pad so you are not lifted up by the bar.
- Grab the bar evenly to which ever width you desire, wider than shoulder width targets the Lats.
Pull the bar down to your chest, keep your body straight, leaning back slightly, only move your arms during the exercise.
- Now slowly allow the bar to lift back up, keep the tension on your muscles, when you lift the bar back up don’t fully straighten your arms.
- Repeat the motion for your desired reps.
Other Back Exercises